Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Your Closet: Hang or Fold?

I never really thought about the science of hanging clothes in your closet until I moved in with my boyfriend. Since he was little, his mom always hung up all of his shirts... Even his T shirts that have holes in them and are strictly for when he's working in the shop. I don't get it, but apparently some people do that. So I read up on the topic to find out what is politically correct to hang. Martha Stewart must have learned a thing or two in jail, because she has it down to a T.

First off, if you're lucky enough to be able to afford to get most of your clothes dry cleaned, make sure you take them out of the plastic bag that they always put them in. Use a garment bag if you're really worried about them.

Shirts, blouses, basically anything made 100% cotton, linen, and rayon should stay hung in your closet. One of your blouses a button up? Make sure you keep the top button closed so the color stays intact. Any T-shirts can be stretched out by hangers, so you should really fold them. There are so many tutorials on how to fold shirts, it's actually mind blowing.

Have a dress or going-out outfit made of silk, satin, or any other delicates? You should use padded hangers. This upsets me because of my constant need to have matching hangers. Luckily for me, I don't own anything delicate. If you have a lightweight gown from a wedding or prom, hang them by their loops to save their shape.

What about your pants... Half of mine are folded while the other half are hanging. My work pants are always hung by their waist. But I read that you can also clip them at the hem. I'm not a fan of folding them in half and over the hanger, but hey if that's your cup of tea then you go for it. Anything made of rugged material like jeans can be folded. For your skirts, you can use moveable clip hangers to fit whatever size and style you own. I'm personally a fan of the high-waisted. If you hate when the fabric gets indentations, try putting a piece of tissue paper between your garment and the clip. It works wonders.

For your outerwear, Martha suggests keeping them on curved suit hangers. I live in Florida where the heaviest jacket I wear is my high school Northface. Speaking of colder weather clothing... any knitwear can be folded as they don't usually wrinkle. That means any knitted pants, dresses, or sweaters can be taken down from your hangers.

I never really thought about it but if you have a silk nightgown, you should hang it like a dress. I've never owned a silk nightgown but if you can rock it, then you go girl! And don't forget to store your undies and bras in a drawer. Don't hang them... it's just weird, kinda like hanging your hole-y T-shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment